- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 (4 ounce) jars maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 pound chocolate coating (milk or dark chocolate work best, but white can be used if desired)
In a medium bowl, mix together powdered sugar, butter, milk and almond extract. Knead together until well blended, then form into 1 inch balls. Flatten each ball into a 2 inch circle and wrap around a cherry, leaving the stems sticking out. Chill 3-4 hours. When ready to dip, place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after every 30 seconds, until smooth. Take a cherry by the stem, dip it in chocolate and allow extra chocolate to drip back into bowl. Place on waxed paper and allow to set up completely. Chill until time to serve.
Cook's Notes-if desired, garnish dipped cherries with chocolate sprinkles, chopped nuts, etc.
- You can purchase chocolate bark at any neighborhood grocery during the holiday season, Kroger, Meijer and WalMart tend to carry a lot of it during the holiday season, but it may be elusive during the rest of the year.
- JoAnn's, Michael's and Hobby Lobby carry Wilton's chocolate coatings year round.
- If you are giving these as a gift, you can purchase holiday tins at Hobby Lobby, Michael's JoAnn's or Flower Factory, all located near the Dayton Mall.